Saturday, December 25, 2010

Post-op Miscellany

A few observations and experiences that don't necessarily warrant individual posts:

* In the week following surgery, I had a lot of dark dreams. I hesitate to call them nightmares because I wasn't scared, but their content was potentially frightening. Shadowy presences, demons, malevolent entities, darkened rooms. Other dreams were lucid, perhaps even astral travel. They were like waking life with no sudden shifts from venue to venue.

On reflection, this makes sense that the subconscious should be stirred up following surgery. The surgeons cut deep into my physical core, and so the core of my psyche would also be disrupted. Gunk like blood, tissue, and fluids drained from the body post-op, so no doubt psychic gunk also was released. I don't interpret this as unacknowledged fears on my part, as I am really good at soul-searching, and not a whole lot about my inner workings escapes my scrutiny and contemplation. I was very calm going into surgery, prepared for wherever it took me, even into death. Once you reconcile with the prospect of death, you can face just about anything.

* I have managed the pain exceedingly well. Post-op I had morphine only twice, one dose a half dose, and one Tylenol. Then nothing until I got home. One day the pain was so bad I took two Tylenol. Other than those four times, I have had nothing. The incisions are generally on the level of discomfort, not pain, so there isn't really any justification for pain meds, which I feel are more trouble than they're worth.

* I started driving one day shy of two weeks post-op. Though six weeks is the recommended resumption of driving, I didn't see any reason why I should wait that long, since I wasn't taking pain meds and didn't feel impaired.


* Have been very careful about staying away from people with colds. Diana had invited me over to her mom's house for Christmas, but then called today to tell me she was coming down with something. I thought it best to stay home with Rasputin. Pinky is doing so well that I don't want to do anything to disturb her.

I canceled the annual holiday tradition of caroling for brandy this year in order to avoid infections. Sure missed caroling from one stranger's door to another and brightening the hearts of many and confusing and/or embarrassing a few others. To view past years' posts on caroling for brandy, see 2009, 2008, and 2007.http://heidisheart.blogspot.com/2007/12/caroling-in-carol-park.html

* Before surgery, I had bought a foot-high living tree from the market because I didn't know how long I'd be in the hospital. When I got home only four days following surgery, I really wanted a tree, and damn if we didn't get the best tree we've ever had. Enough room to put up all the ornaments.

* Pictured here with snowflake sunglasses--Elton John, step aside!--and a bird whistle from Georgette, a pixie of a gal who lives in Florida and each birthday and Christmas sends me gifts that make me giggle. Also a cashmere scarf from my neighbor Annie. I've always loved cashmere but have never owned any until now. A generous gift.

No comments:

Followers

About Me

Southern California, United States
Perhaps my friend Mark summed me up best when he called me "a mystical grammarian." I am quite a mix--otherworldly, ethereal and in touch with "the beyond," yet prone to being very precise and logical, when need be. Romantic in the big-canvas meaning of the word, I see the world as an adventure, as a love poem, as a realm of beauty and wonder.

Blog Archive