Saturday, January 31, 2009

Looking Cute is so Damn Important

The dear son took me to the hospital yesterday. A few friends had volunteered, but when I found out that I had to be there by 5:45, I figured only a next of kin would be truly willing.

I'm so glad he was there. He held my hand and told me that he was always thinking good thoughts about me, praying for me. He told he loved me and that he hoped that the surgery would go well, that dialysis would help me feel better.

Best of all, he was there when they put in the IV. Oh, how I hate IVs! That is one of the prime reasons why I didn't opt for hemodialysis.

At one point, I gathered up my IV pole and headed for the bathroom. When I returned I engaged in the silly banter that is part of the mother-son bond I share with Aaron. I smiled and told him, "You know, Son, I just looked in the mirror, and I want to tell you that your mom is pretty damn cute. Even without makeup, even stressed out and feeling lousy, even without sleep the night before surgery, I still look pretty cute....And that's important!"

No comments:

Followers

About Me

Southern California, United States
Perhaps my friend Mark summed me up best when he called me "a mystical grammarian." I am quite a mix--otherworldly, ethereal and in touch with "the beyond," yet prone to being very precise and logical, when need be. Romantic in the big-canvas meaning of the word, I see the world as an adventure, as a love poem, as a realm of beauty and wonder.

Blog Archive