Sunday, August 31, 2008

Orchid Love




For my 50th birthday, chick cabin friend Susie (center of photo) gave me a gorgeous orchid. It was displayed on my kitchen table for a month, exhibiting its beauty to the world.

Then the time came for a change of venue.

Often I take evening walks in the neighborhood, sometimes with my son and sometimes alone. I love this area with its Craftsman houses and Spanish-revival architecture. Usually I walk all the way to ocean and back. On one such occasion, I noticed the row of orchids on a porch in the 200 block of Molino. I thought, Here lives someone who knows how to care for orchids, how to make them bloom again.

And so, when my orchid was on its last burst of blooms, I put it in a red bag and wrote a note to this orchid-loving stranger. Then I set out on a walk.

When I got to the orchid house, I rang the doorbell. Two exuberant labs pounced at the door, followed a short time later by their cell-phone-chatting owner. He opened the door, but continued to talk, so it was a good thing I had written him a note to explain the situation, how I had admired his orchids when I had passed his house on my evening walks, how I had received this orchid for my birthday and had enjoyed it immensely, but thought that now it was best to give it to someone who knows how to care for orchids after their first bloom. He did not say to the person on the other end of the line, "Oh, sorry, but I'll have to call you later. Someone just brought over an orchid for me." I had thought that maybe he and I could talk about plants for a while. Oh, well.

This is similar to the reaction my fellow carolers and I have received at some houses. People continue to talk on their cell phones or watch TV rather than come to the door and listen to something they will most likely never experience again in their lives.

Don't get me wrong: I am not voicing disappointment, and I certainly was not insulted. It's just interesting. As friend Bev, a 75-year-old with the attitude and umph of a woman a third her age, always says, "People are interesting." She doesn't get upset, just acknowledges their strange ways as an anthropologist from another planet might.

And I'm smiling now, knowing that Susie's orchid is surrounded by others of its kind and so, seeing its brothers and sisters in their full regalia, will be more likely to show its stuff again too. Perhaps I'll even spot it blooming when I pass by the house on an evening walk.

1 comment:

Alexi Holford said...

interesting

=)

Followers

About Me

Southern California, United States
Perhaps my friend Mark summed me up best when he called me "a mystical grammarian." I am quite a mix--otherworldly, ethereal and in touch with "the beyond," yet prone to being very precise and logical, when need be. Romantic in the big-canvas meaning of the word, I see the world as an adventure, as a love poem, as a realm of beauty and wonder.

Blog Archive