Sunday, August 31, 2008

Monrovia Canyon Park--waterfall trail



On Friday I participated in a meetup.com event, one of a handful since signing up. The others: a magic show-medieval dinner, complete with wenches; a boat tour of the Port of Long Beach; and a book-discussion group featuring David Sedaris' "When You are Engulfed in Flames"--a fun read, but not meaty enough for a book discussion, at least by my standards.

The Friday meetup was a hike at Monrovia Canyon Park. The Deer Park trail was billed as seven miles and moderate, but I got a mile into its 35- to 40-percent grade and told my companions to go on without me--just like you hear of people nobly saying to their comrades when the food has run out and they're down to eating the sled team.

I walked easily down the mountain and then began ascending a less-taxing trail along a stream bed to a 30-foot waterfall. I disrobed my feet and let them cool in the waters. Ah, a real treat on such a hot day. As is my long-held tradition, I took shots of my left foot with water. I have shots of my left foot and water all around the planet. Sort of like, no, I didn't have a traveling companion, but my left foot was there--see!

No comments:

Followers

About Me

Southern California, United States
Perhaps my friend Mark summed me up best when he called me "a mystical grammarian." I am quite a mix--otherworldly, ethereal and in touch with "the beyond," yet prone to being very precise and logical, when need be. Romantic in the big-canvas meaning of the word, I see the world as an adventure, as a love poem, as a realm of beauty and wonder.

Blog Archive