Sunday, August 31, 2008

My Garden's Bounty




For years I have harbored subversive thoughts about growing all my own food, cutting out the corporate agri-businesses with their genetically modified organisms, pesticides, insecticides and overall evil ways. What could be more disruptive of the status quo and the powers that be than becoming self-sufficient, able to provide for my basic need--food.

Instead of waiting until I have a proper piece of land, I bought a container, filled it with soil and plunked two tomato plants in it. The container is just outside my back door, against a concrete wall, setting on the concrete corridor. In short, I have no unpaved land on which to grow my food.

Although the teardrop yellow tomatoes have been going strong for a month now, the other plant has been slow to bring forth its bounty. Yesterday, however, I picked my first red tomato. I shared it with the dear son, who had dropped by for a meal after his job at the art museum and on his way to work at the restaurant. He halved the beautiful red orb. What a treat to eat something I've been fussing over for more than a month.

Also pictured here is my cactus and rock garden because not all plants have to have a purpose beyond being beautiful. Not every member of the vegetable kingdom has to be consumed. Some are just there for the sheer joy of growing and soaking up the sunshine.

No comments:

Followers

About Me

Southern California, United States
Perhaps my friend Mark summed me up best when he called me "a mystical grammarian." I am quite a mix--otherworldly, ethereal and in touch with "the beyond," yet prone to being very precise and logical, when need be. Romantic in the big-canvas meaning of the word, I see the world as an adventure, as a love poem, as a realm of beauty and wonder.

Blog Archive