Monday, November 22, 2010

Surgery Scheduled for Dec. 8

I just heard from UCLA. The donor who was being difficult is now on board. Janet's and my surgeries have been tentatively scheduled for Dec. 8, a little over two weeks away.

A few hurdles still have to be cleared: final blood tests, EKGs, and surgeons' approvals. Suzanne, the UCLA transplant coordinator who works with paired donations, said she would try to get me in sometime this week for tests.

It's amazing to think that by Christmas I could be out of the hospital, have my cute little belly back (no tubing, gauze, or tape), and get an uninterrupted night's sleep (no more continual gurgling and chugging of the dialysis machine, no more of its alarms). This would also mean that I would again have some hope that I might someday be in a relationship. And that I can travel unencumbered (except for the insulin pump, blood glucose sensor, and diabetic supplies).

There will be no caroling for brandy this year. Perhaps those who have caroled with me in previous years will show up at my bedside and regale me. If not, I'm still looking forward to the best Christmas present yet--a new kidney.

3 comments:

Diana said...

I'm so excited for you! May everything go smoothly...keeping my fingers crossed.

Susie said...

Oh Heidi - this is terrific news. I am seeing clear sailing and all systems go with an excellent outcome for everyone involved.

Thanks for sharing the news - you've made Monday a bit brighter.

Heidi's heart said...

Thanks much, Diana. Continue praying that all the pre-op tests turn out perfectly.

Followers

About Me

Southern California, United States
Perhaps my friend Mark summed me up best when he called me "a mystical grammarian." I am quite a mix--otherworldly, ethereal and in touch with "the beyond," yet prone to being very precise and logical, when need be. Romantic in the big-canvas meaning of the word, I see the world as an adventure, as a love poem, as a realm of beauty and wonder.

Blog Archive