Saturday, June 19, 2010

Perfume Museum and Celebrity Chef

The morning of June 7, we visited Musee de Parfum Fragonard, a fascinating collection of rare and antique perfume vials that leads the visitor to a showroom for the Fragonard line. A little too flowery for both Helene's and my tastes.

We then walked to Eglise Madeleine, a Roman Catholic church built in the classical style. We made our way to the Musee Rodin, only to find that it is closed on Mondays. Before getting on the Metro, we relaxed in a little park beside Invales named Place de la Concorde. There I spied a woman sitting on the grass, her form surrounded by flowers and greenery. She looked like a living Gaughin painting.



We took a very deep Metro to Buttes Chamonte, a large park with a stream, a waterfall, and a lake. The depth of the subway really affected Helene's inner ear, and I too could feel the pressure. We must have been at least four levels underground or about eight flights of stairs.



I was really struggling with all this walking. I suspected I was still anemic, plus this was far more exercise than I was accustomed to at home. Over the last several months, I have experienced a constellation of symptoms that wear on me. They include

* fatigue
* weakness
* lethargy
* chest discomfort and pain
* abdominal discomfort and pain
* nausea
* aching shoulders, neck, and back
* headache
* lightheadedness
* dizziness
* phlegm in my throat that I can't expel
* dry cough
* poor appetite
* chills
* heart palpitations
* heart tightness and constriction
* quivering of the heart (irregular heartbeat)
* labored breathing

It's not that I experience all of them at once, but I experience some of them all of the time.

Throughout the trip, Helene helped me so much. She often carried my baggage up stairs when there was no elevator in a train station or the airport. I was often at the limit of my physical ability just to continue walking, much less carry or pull luggage. Without Helene, I would not have been able to travel in France, as unlike the U.S., it is not set up to accommodate people who need extra assistance.

That night we ate at Marie's apartment. Her ex-boyfriend's nephew, Ben Darnaud, popped by. What a great guy! He is only 25 and already he has published a cooking book and has his own cooking show on French TV. He had just returned from a few days in Dublin, where he attended a food festival. Such a cutie!

No comments:

Followers

About Me

Southern California, United States
Perhaps my friend Mark summed me up best when he called me "a mystical grammarian." I am quite a mix--otherworldly, ethereal and in touch with "the beyond," yet prone to being very precise and logical, when need be. Romantic in the big-canvas meaning of the word, I see the world as an adventure, as a love poem, as a realm of beauty and wonder.

Blog Archive