Saturday, June 19, 2010

Bees on a Rainy Day

Wednesday the 9th was a rainy, cold day. Helene and I took the Metro to the Luxemburg Gardens, where we met Marie. She is a beekeeper for the French senate's bees. Marie is very adament about the importance of keeping bees, as our food supply depends on them, and their numbers are dwindling.



First we attended a lecture in the bee building about the swarm that Marie had almost single-handedly dealt with the week before. In the end, her efforts were in vain, as the bees flew away.



Unfortunately, it was too rainy to work with the bees. We had planned to suit up and receive a lesson in bee-keeping from Marie, but that was not to be.




That evening, we had dinner at a small French restaurant near Marie and Stefania's apartment building. I had steak with a bleu cheese gravy.



No comments:

Followers

About Me

Southern California, United States
Perhaps my friend Mark summed me up best when he called me "a mystical grammarian." I am quite a mix--otherworldly, ethereal and in touch with "the beyond," yet prone to being very precise and logical, when need be. Romantic in the big-canvas meaning of the word, I see the world as an adventure, as a love poem, as a realm of beauty and wonder.

Blog Archive