Saturday, April 17, 2010

You Know Not the Day Nor the Hour

Mike Riek, the love of my life, if love is measured by sexual intensity, will be dead four years on May 8. Mike was a surfing legend and by far the most beautiful body I had ever come in contact with. He was strong and virile and took lots of physical risks. He had no known health problems.

We were together four years, 1996-2000, and during that time I developed coronary heart disease and congestive heart failure, partly because of the constricted blood flow due to Type I diabetes and partly because of the strain of the relationship.

Mike had a surfing buddy who had a wife who was on dialysis due to Type I diabetes. The health problems and potential health problems associated with diabetes frightened Mike, so he used diabetes as an excuse for breaking up with me.

The irony, of course, is that this perfect specimen of a man died four years ago while surfing, and I with all my health challenges am still alive and kicking.

As is written in Matthew 24:36-44:

"But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven....As were the days of Noah, so will be th coming of the Son of man. For as in those days before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day when Noah entered the ark, and they did not know until the flood came and swept them all away, so will be the coming of the Son of man. Then two men will be in the field; one is taken and one is left. Two women will be grinding at the mill; one is taken and one is left. Watch therefore, for you do not know on what day your Lord is coming. But know this, that if the householder had known in what part of the night the thief was coming, he would have watched and would not have let his house be broken into. Therefore you also must be ready; for the Son of man is coming at an hour you do not expect."

And Matthew 25:13:

"Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour."

I know that a lot of people read this as an allusion to the rapture, the time when the good souls shall be taken on high and the evil doers are left to suffer on earth. Well, maybe, not I feel these passages have much more currency and meaning when they are considered in terms of death.

No one knows the day nor the hour of his own death or anyone else's. So often, those who seem to be the picture of health suddenly die, and those who bemoan their condition and gripe about how they're on death's door seem to hang on forever. This certainly was the case with Mike. And, damn it, I continue to hang on.

No comments:

Followers

About Me

Southern California, United States
Perhaps my friend Mark summed me up best when he called me "a mystical grammarian." I am quite a mix--otherworldly, ethereal and in touch with "the beyond," yet prone to being very precise and logical, when need be. Romantic in the big-canvas meaning of the word, I see the world as an adventure, as a love poem, as a realm of beauty and wonder.

Blog Archive