Sunday, March 28, 2010

Thank God I Didn't Go Skydiving!

A few days after my hip surgery I thought, "Oh, my God! What would have happened had I gone skydiving!"

A few weeks before I went to New York, my friend Othman asked me to join him and his friends for skydiving. I gave it serious thought, attempting to find information online about dialysis patients who skydived. I found nothing. My cardiologist and nephrologist advised against it on general grounds--the folly of anyone jumping from an airplane--but had nothing specifically to advice against it on the grounds of my heart or kidney. Dr. Butman said that I should probably jump dry (without dialysis solution in my peritoneum) in case the force of the landing should push the fluid into my lungs. Other than that, it appeared it would be no bigger problem than for anyone else.

In the end, though, I didn't go. I just had a feeling it might not be the right thing for me at this time.

Now I am so glad I didn't jump. If my bones are so brittle that I can break my hip from a standing position with no velocity, just think what might have happened from thousands of feet up. Besides one of the New York surgeons said that the mere impact of the parachute unfurling could have broken my shoulders.

No comments:

Followers

About Me

Southern California, United States
Perhaps my friend Mark summed me up best when he called me "a mystical grammarian." I am quite a mix--otherworldly, ethereal and in touch with "the beyond," yet prone to being very precise and logical, when need be. Romantic in the big-canvas meaning of the word, I see the world as an adventure, as a love poem, as a realm of beauty and wonder.

Blog Archive