Sunday, March 28, 2010

Empathy for Those in Fear of Falling

Like many young and middle-aged people, I'm sure, I often wondered how an elderly person could die of a broken hip. I completely understand it now.

A broken hip is extremely painful, and if someone were already compromised by other illnesses or in a weak condition, I don't know as if she or he would have the wherewithall to get out of bed again. And with lack of movement comes the possibility of infection that could do one in.

So now I completely understand why the elderly are afraid of falling. I, too, do not want to fall again.

No comments:

Followers

About Me

Southern California, United States
Perhaps my friend Mark summed me up best when he called me "a mystical grammarian." I am quite a mix--otherworldly, ethereal and in touch with "the beyond," yet prone to being very precise and logical, when need be. Romantic in the big-canvas meaning of the word, I see the world as an adventure, as a love poem, as a realm of beauty and wonder.

Blog Archive