Monday, March 16, 2009

Same Weight I Was in High School

A few days ago, I told Dr. Butman that I'm the same weight I was in high school. I was 126 then, and without the two liters (four pounds) I carry inside my peritoneum membrane between exchanges, I would be 126. Right now, with those two liters, I generally weigh in at 131 or 132.

I've probably been carrying around extra fluid for years because, before I went on dialysis, my weight fluctuated from 138 to 155. Extra fluid, of course, put a strain on my heart.

Dr. Butman responded by saying how his patients so often tell him that putting on weight is associated with aging. "But they haven't grown any taller since high school, have they?" he retorted.

Just as with so many things, weight gain is something people don't want to take personal responsibility for; they'd rather make excuses. All I know is that if I, who has exercised so little in the past several years because to do so gave me chest pain and shortness of breath, if I can be the same weight I was in high school, then certainly people who are able to exercise without chest pain can do the same.

1 comment:

Alexi Holford said...

I just wish my sister could gain weight. 5'9" and 120 at the most is not enough. And with her myriad of health issues, she can barely get out of bed. Plus there is the near constant pain. With all that in mind, I consider my weight increase in recent months trivial and unimportant.

Followers

About Me

Southern California, United States
Perhaps my friend Mark summed me up best when he called me "a mystical grammarian." I am quite a mix--otherworldly, ethereal and in touch with "the beyond," yet prone to being very precise and logical, when need be. Romantic in the big-canvas meaning of the word, I see the world as an adventure, as a love poem, as a realm of beauty and wonder.

Blog Archive