Friday, March 13, 2009

Rogue Waves

Gerard d'Aboville, who rowed across the Pacific in 1990, writes of brushes with death that blindsided him in his account of his journey, "Alone." Times when the weather was good and the ocean was calm, and then a wave comes out of nowhere, and he nearly loses his life.

I, too, have had some rogue-wave experiences lately, most recently Wednesday night.

I had been going along, feeling fine, blood sugar and blood pressure under control. Then a rouge wave struck. I tested my blood sugar, and it was 599. Normal is 70-120. I haven't seen a number like this in I don't know how long. I gave myself a bolus of insulin, then tested again in an hour. By then it was off the scale, somewhere above 600. More insulin, then more and more and more. Still 600. Finally, at 4 a.m., my blood tested at 199. High, but acceptable. In total, I had taken 52 units of insulin to bring my blood sugar down, more insulin than I usually take in two days. During the night, I had experienced chest pain and pressure, due to the high blood glucose, and severe leg cramps and nausea. All day yesterday I felt like I had been beaten up, hit by a rogue wave.

Today the seas are once again calm, and so I am at ease--until the next brush with death.

2 comments:

Alexi Holford said...

That is so scary. When this happens, do you alert someone in your medical care group? Is there any followup? How worrisome?

Anonymous said...

That was a heck of a wave, Heidi. You're a *#(@ of a surfer apparently!

Followers

About Me

Southern California, United States
Perhaps my friend Mark summed me up best when he called me "a mystical grammarian." I am quite a mix--otherworldly, ethereal and in touch with "the beyond," yet prone to being very precise and logical, when need be. Romantic in the big-canvas meaning of the word, I see the world as an adventure, as a love poem, as a realm of beauty and wonder.

Blog Archive