Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Dragging

Today was a day like so many in the last few months--wearying. All that I accomplished was taking Rasputin for two short walks and doing four loads of laundry. And this tuckered me out.

Again today I felt an upwelling of fluids into my chest whenever I'd do the slightest bit of exercise--like walking across the room. These fluids put pressure on my chest, making it difficult to breathe and giving me an overall feeling of constraint and constriction.

I would carry a load of laundry to the laundry room behind my apartment, stop and take a rest, load the laundry into the wash machine, take another rest, carry the dry laundry into the apartment, sort it and hang it up, then lie down to take a half-hour nap. That was my day. Rasputin, of course, is a big believer in naps, so he snuggled next to me.

I keep thinking that once I get a kidney transplant, I'll be able to walk across the room with ease, do simple tasks like the laundry with no sweat, and even have enough energy to hike and surf again. Wow, wouldn't that be something!

No comments:

Followers

About Me

Southern California, United States
Perhaps my friend Mark summed me up best when he called me "a mystical grammarian." I am quite a mix--otherworldly, ethereal and in touch with "the beyond," yet prone to being very precise and logical, when need be. Romantic in the big-canvas meaning of the word, I see the world as an adventure, as a love poem, as a realm of beauty and wonder.

Blog Archive