Monday, November 29, 2010

Great Acts of Love

This afternoon I called Cindy, my potential donor in Phoenix, to report to her about my day at UCLA. Turns out, Suzanne, the paired-donation coordinator, had called her earlier  to tell her that she and I are compatible. Cindy told Suzanne and she told me that she is still onboard, should something fall through with the proposed four-way exchange.

I feel so blessed! Last June to have moved next door to Janet, the woman who would just two months after meeting me, say that she wanted to be my donor. And then, because Janet and I are not compatible, I solicited help to find another donor and Cindy stepped forward. Cindy, the friend of a former student of mine, but besides that tangental connection, a stranger.

The kindness and selfless generosity of two strangers has gotten me this far, and I am very thankful to both Cindy and Janet. Of course, by now, Janet has become a friend, but her initial offer came when we barely knew each other. These two women speak loudly of the goodness that is inherent in the human species. Too often we focus on the awful things humans do, but we are also capable of great acts of love, even toward strangers.

No comments:

Followers

About Me

Southern California, United States
Perhaps my friend Mark summed me up best when he called me "a mystical grammarian." I am quite a mix--otherworldly, ethereal and in touch with "the beyond," yet prone to being very precise and logical, when need be. Romantic in the big-canvas meaning of the word, I see the world as an adventure, as a love poem, as a realm of beauty and wonder.

Blog Archive