Thursday, October 21, 2010

Hooking Up

Every night I hook up for 10 ½ hours,

not with a supernaturally virile man

but a dialysis machine.

All night long it grunts, groans, and moans,

pushing clean fluids into me,

sucking dirty ones out.



Like an ideal man in some fantasy relationship,

my dialysis machine sustains me,

cleanses me, gives me another day of life.

Of course, it’s a life without hope

of romance, relationship, passion, or sex,

since every guy I’ve told so far

has immediately shunned me,

without even a good-bye call or first kiss.



All day long, I carry reminders of these hook-ups:

a foot of tubing that issues from the hole in my belly

and a penis-like transfer set by which I attach to the machine’s tubes.

Each morning after I shower and change the dressing,

I place the transfer set in a baby sock,

wrap the sock with a ponytail tie,

then slip all this inside my panties,

hiding the evidence under my clothes.

All day long, this artificial penis

rubs against my crotch,

the closest I ever get now

to what everyone else calls a hook-up.

2 comments:

DCGuru said...

I found your post exciting yet sad )-: I watched my aunt go through the same thing and reading your post has made me think about her. I can't beleive I'm almost in tears as I write this. Continue to be strong & have faith that one day Mr.Right will apreciate you & except you for you.

Heidi's heart said...

DC, I can always count on you for a thoughtful, sensitive comment. Thanks much. For the most part, romance et. al seems like something that happens on another planet. I limit my exposure to it, and so I don't often think about it. Just once in a while.

Followers

About Me

Southern California, United States
Perhaps my friend Mark summed me up best when he called me "a mystical grammarian." I am quite a mix--otherworldly, ethereal and in touch with "the beyond," yet prone to being very precise and logical, when need be. Romantic in the big-canvas meaning of the word, I see the world as an adventure, as a love poem, as a realm of beauty and wonder.

Blog Archive