Monday, September 20, 2010

Hopes and Hurdles in the Transplant Process

I spoke with Cindy, the young woman in Phoenix who is interested in donating a kidney. She sent her initial paperwork to UCLA and received a call from Jen, one of the transplant coordinators, the next day, so things are moving in the right direction.

Jen is concerned that Cindy is only 26, and the minimum age for living donors, at least at UCLA, is 25. Since Cindy is so young, she has not established medical history as has someone who is older than her, i.e., very little has gone awry in her physical makeup. Therefore, UCLA has to look at her family's medical history rather than concentrating on her own. Since her mother and brother both have hypertension, she is more likely to develop hypertension in the future than someone her age with no family history of hypertension.

Because of her age, her friend-of-a-friend connection with me, and her family history of hypertension, her case must go before a panel that meets tomorrow. Cindy told me that they should have a decision before the week's end and that Jen has promised her a call by this Friday.

Jen also suggested that Cindy talk with her brother, who received a kidney from their sister 15 years ago. Fifteen years is the average life span of a living-donor kidney, and though the brother is doing well now, he may need another kidney in the future. Jen wondered if Cindy would rather wait in the wings for her brother's need to manifest than give her kidney to a stranger. For some reason, I hadn't thought of this before Cindy mentioned it, but I can certainly understand how that would be a big concern for her.

So as of this writing, I am thankful that things are progressing in the right direction, but as is my m.o. with everything that is possible in this life, it is best not to be attached to a particular outcome. I sure hope Cindy is able and willing to donate to me, but if the panel rules against her or if her brother wants her to save her kidney for him, I will avoid debilitating disappointment and discouragement by not being too wedded to these outcomes. In fact, I spend very little thought time with possible outcomes. I am clear about what I want, but then I let go of the thought and let the universe work its magic.

As I told Cindy during our last phone conversation, I am so thankful for her stepping forward. Just the fact that she has done that, that she sincerly wants to donate to me, is a great gift. To think that a stranger would want to save my life--that is truly remarkable. If that does not happen for one reason or another, that in itself is still such a wonderful thing, that a stranger would feel compassion for me and want to help. Wow!

1 comment:

Heather Clisby said...

I'm pulling for you and Cindy to make this happen!

Followers

About Me

Southern California, United States
Perhaps my friend Mark summed me up best when he called me "a mystical grammarian." I am quite a mix--otherworldly, ethereal and in touch with "the beyond," yet prone to being very precise and logical, when need be. Romantic in the big-canvas meaning of the word, I see the world as an adventure, as a love poem, as a realm of beauty and wonder.

Blog Archive