Friday, July 31, 2009

Feeling a Little Down on my Birthday

Rasputin is chewing on a bone, and I'm putting off some editing that I've been putting off for weeks now. After completing this post, I have to get at it. That's how I'm spending this Friday night, which happens to be my birthday.

I am grateful to those friends who remembered the day, calling me with well wishes, posting Facebook comments, or sending a card. And dear Georgette, the Floridian pixie, Photoshopped me as a flirtatous faerie, which is now dangling from my living-room ceiling fan.

Despite the kindness of these friends, I'm feeling a little down, not much, just a little. I no longer stay down, as I did when I was a child or as I did until about six years ago when a lot of things shifted for me. And my downs are not so deep as they once were. Sometimes I feel down for only a few minutes now. Today it's been a few minutes here and there.

Birthdays, like holidays, help us mark the year. They're a time for us to reflect on what we've experienced during the past 12 months and on those things that seem ever-elusive. New Year's Eve, for example, has often been a down time for me, not just because I don't have a date (the first and last time that happened was 1976 with Rod at the Milwaukee Performing Arts Center), but that I think, "Another year and still no love to share it with."

I wonder when I will be with a love who will remember my birthday, go to sleep beside me, wake up next to me, kiss the back of my neck, and rub whatever he can of my taped-up belly. I wonder when I'll go on B&B weekends with a lover, when I'll be invited to parties at which everyone else is in a couple and I will be too, when I'll have someone to give me a ride home from the mechanic, when I'll find a man who actually wants to have sex and is capable of doing something in bed.

I was referred by the Renal Support Network to an article about a PD patient who was very reluctant to begin dialysis but received a transplant a few years back and is now having a wonderful life with her husband. This article is meant to inspire and encourage, but it has not done that for me. All the craziness I have been going through to get on the damn transplant wait list, and the craziness continues. Where will it end, and will it end with me on the wait list or simply having gone through all this drama just to be denied? And the loving, supportive husband--where is he? Whenever you read of someone who has faced tremendous health challenges and has overcome them, there is always a loving, supportive spouse. When do I get mine?

As I wrote these words, little Rasputin came up to me and climbed onto my lap. I am very grateful that he has been sent from heaven to remind me that I am richly deserving of the very best love.

1 comment:

Alexi Holford said...

Yes, you are deserving of the very best love. I am sorry your birthday was a bit of a downer. I can relate.

Followers

About Me

Southern California, United States
Perhaps my friend Mark summed me up best when he called me "a mystical grammarian." I am quite a mix--otherworldly, ethereal and in touch with "the beyond," yet prone to being very precise and logical, when need be. Romantic in the big-canvas meaning of the word, I see the world as an adventure, as a love poem, as a realm of beauty and wonder.

Blog Archive