Monday, March 09, 2009

Would You Tell a Lie to Save a Life?

Would you tell a lie to save a life?

Anyone who has taken a philosophy course has run up against this question. Someone will give a hokey scenario such as a known murderer is looking for someone who is hiding in the next room, he asks you if you know where he can find his victim, and you lie to him, saying you have not seen the person he's looking for, thereby saving a life. This is often brushed off with: "Well, c'mon, how many times does that ever happen?"

Well, it's happening to me now. I am the person who is hiding in the next room, and my nephrologist is the person who knows where I am. He knows, and so do I, that patients who are on the transplant list live longer than those who are not because they're happier, they have hope, they have something to live for. Dr. Butman had told me this before, and he mentioned this again this afternoon.

I quipped, "Then why not lie to patients and tell them they're on the list even when they're not?" Of course, this would not be "ethical." But it could save lives. A classic case of the old philosophical quandry. Immaneul Kant may not have agreed, but I feel today as if I'd rather think I was on the list than know I'm not.

But I must remember that my case is on appeal. Though my voice broke slightly when I was speaking with Dr. Butman and though I told him I was going to have a good cry, I didn't. Instead I took a long walk, delighting in the play of evening sunlight and shadows. Besides, I had a good cry last night. I don't want to overdo it.

No comments:

Followers

About Me

Southern California, United States
Perhaps my friend Mark summed me up best when he called me "a mystical grammarian." I am quite a mix--otherworldly, ethereal and in touch with "the beyond," yet prone to being very precise and logical, when need be. Romantic in the big-canvas meaning of the word, I see the world as an adventure, as a love poem, as a realm of beauty and wonder.

Blog Archive