Saturday, March 07, 2009

Mid-day Exchange

Yesterday I was at the PD clinic from 8:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., getting lab tests, receiving training from a PD nurse, and seeing a nephrologist, a dietician, and a social worker.

Dr. Butman, my primary nephrologist, gave me a journal article on a clinical study of dialysis patients who were put on a "tidal" program, in which some fluid is left in the peritoneum after each cycle of the dialysis machine. This is the technique he is trying on me, as I continue to have severe cramping during treatment and keeping some fluid inside should prevent any rubbing of organs or of the catheter against the organs. That's the theory at least.

In turn, I gave him a copy of the book I wrote on traditional Chinese medicine. I have the feeling he will actually read it and, hopefully, it will open up his mind a bit.

Yesterday I was also hit with yet another layer to the whole dialysis thing: I now have to conduct mid-day exchanges in order to obtain better clearance of toxins. Most people are on either four one-hour exchanges per day or one one-hour and one 10-hour exchanges in a 24-hour period. I was hoping I would only have to do the nightly 10-hour treatment, but that means being dry (not having any fluid inside the peritoneum) during the day, which results in pain and a build-up of toxins during the course of the day. Keeping fluid inside all day has its problems too: The fluid is full of toxins that are re-absorbed into system if they are not drained out within eight hours, thereby defeating the whole purpose of dialysis. So...now I must be home every day around noon to conduct a mid-day exchange.

I am not happy with this situation, but I'm accepting it. Since I started dialysis on Feb. 2, I have been invited to maybe a half dozen events, all of which I have not been able to attend because I have to get hooked up to the cycler by 9:30 p.m. at the latest and some nights as early as 7. Now it will also be difficult to see friends for lunch or a daytime excursion. Basically, the only time I have available is 1-7 p.m. Not much to work with. Seems as if I will have to go out on disability if I ever hope to see anyone but my son and my doctors ever again!

No comments:

Followers

About Me

Southern California, United States
Perhaps my friend Mark summed me up best when he called me "a mystical grammarian." I am quite a mix--otherworldly, ethereal and in touch with "the beyond," yet prone to being very precise and logical, when need be. Romantic in the big-canvas meaning of the word, I see the world as an adventure, as a love poem, as a realm of beauty and wonder.

Blog Archive