Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Call from UCLA

When I arrived home this noon to do my mid-day exchange, I found a message on my voice mail from Lila Ruiz of UCLA's kidney-transplant team. She told me that she had received the referral from my cardiologist and nephrologist, and said that I would be receiving a letter in three to four months with an appointment date and time.

I was a bit surprised by the time lag. I had been told I would get an appointment with UCLA within a month. Lila said there have been so many referrals lately and that there is quite a backlog. She said I probably wouldn't be seen until late July or early August.

Dr. Butman is on vacation this week, but when he returns, I plan to ask him if I should or can also apply to UC San Diego and Loma Linda Hospital. They are farther away than UCLA, but perhaps my chances are better--or at least I can be seen quicker!

3 comments:

Heather Clisby said...

Weird question but can you apply in other states?

Heidi's heart said...

Yes, it is possible to be listed in another state, provided one has a residence in another state. Yet another advantage to being rich!

Susie said...

Hey Heidi -

Check out UC Davis. I know Ron was considering moving to their list because it is shorter for O positive. You can ask him about it as I'm sure he thoroughly checked them out.

Followers

About Me

Southern California, United States
Perhaps my friend Mark summed me up best when he called me "a mystical grammarian." I am quite a mix--otherworldly, ethereal and in touch with "the beyond," yet prone to being very precise and logical, when need be. Romantic in the big-canvas meaning of the word, I see the world as an adventure, as a love poem, as a realm of beauty and wonder.

Blog Archive