Friday, February 20, 2009

Dialysis is Easy, Like Prison and War

I spoke with someone yesterday who closed the conversation with "I'm glad dialysis is easy." This is a classic case of confusing a good attitude with a good situation.

Just because I'm not crying on anyone's shoulder or voicing any complaints doesn't mean this is easy. Two men who were very interested in me before they knew I had started dialysis are now not returning my calls. Many friends have written me off, figuring, I suppose, that I'm on my way out, so why bother. My opportunities for social engagement have been severely curtailed due to the time constraints of dialysis and doctor visits. And I wonder if anyone will ever want to touch me again, and even if someone does, how is he to do it without interfering with my tubing or contaminating my exit site?

So, yes, dialysis is easy in the same way that prison and war must be easy: You have to learn to cope because not coping just adds another layer of woe to the situation. Accept or die. Those are the options.

No comments:

Followers

About Me

Southern California, United States
Perhaps my friend Mark summed me up best when he called me "a mystical grammarian." I am quite a mix--otherworldly, ethereal and in touch with "the beyond," yet prone to being very precise and logical, when need be. Romantic in the big-canvas meaning of the word, I see the world as an adventure, as a love poem, as a realm of beauty and wonder.

Blog Archive