Sunday, January 25, 2009

Make the Pain Go Away

I have been in pain for months. I have told the acupuncturist, the cardiologist, the nephrologist, and probably a few others about this many times. What I've basically been told is that this is the way that it is.

Sometimes it's a dull ache. Sometimes it's discomfort. Sometimes it's like knives going into my belly. Generally I say nothing and go about my business as if nothing is wrong. I smile. I make conversation. I laugh. I engage in polite conversation. Those who know the health challenges I'm facing tell me how good I look, as was the case yesterday with Susie. Or a few days ago with Tom and Daryl. Or a few weeks ago with Rachel and Matt. But I'm feeling lousy.

Today I woke up in pain, and the pain persisted all day without a let-up. It's going on 11 at night, and I've rubbed my entire mid-section with tiger balm, hoping for some relief. I sure wish it would come so that I could sleep. I have a big day ahead of me tomorrow.

No comments:

Followers

About Me

Southern California, United States
Perhaps my friend Mark summed me up best when he called me "a mystical grammarian." I am quite a mix--otherworldly, ethereal and in touch with "the beyond," yet prone to being very precise and logical, when need be. Romantic in the big-canvas meaning of the word, I see the world as an adventure, as a love poem, as a realm of beauty and wonder.

Blog Archive