Tuesday, December 11, 2007

We All Have so Much

Though I live simply, I still have much more than most of the people in the world do. I have a roof over my head, a bed, food, clothes, a hot shower every morning--hooray for hot showers!--and a whole bunch of earrings.

I'm urging everyone to take stock of his or her blessings and then to rethink holiday shopping this year. Do you really need to buy another thing for friends and family members who already have so many things? Why not have a tree planted in their name instead? Or give them a pretty card that shows that you donated money to their favorite charity? Or that you sponsored a homeless family or a patient at a mental-health facility?

Holiday shopping is way out of hand. Let's all do our part to reign it in and remember that others have so little while we often have way too much.

No comments:

Followers

About Me

Southern California, United States
Perhaps my friend Mark summed me up best when he called me "a mystical grammarian." I am quite a mix--otherworldly, ethereal and in touch with "the beyond," yet prone to being very precise and logical, when need be. Romantic in the big-canvas meaning of the word, I see the world as an adventure, as a love poem, as a realm of beauty and wonder.

Blog Archive