Friday, November 02, 2007

A Small Miracle

For almost eight years, I have been unable to sleep on my side. Prior to this, I did nothing but sleep on my side. But as I developed cardiac problems, I had to retrain my body, putting a pillow beneath my knees so that I wouldn't roll over during the night.

Ever since then, almost every night, I have attempted to sleep as I prefer to sleep--one pillow beneath my head, one sandwiched between my knees and thighs, and a third held to my chest, while sleeping on my side. And every night for the past eight years, I have only been able to hold this position for a minute or so before the pressure built up on my heart and I had to go back to the prone position. The weight of my body would press on my heart, no matter if I tried the left or the right side, making breathing uncomfortable.

These past few nights, however, I have tried the preferred position and have been amazed that, after thousands of attempts in the past years, I am now able to side-sleep as I did when I was a child and a young adult and a 30ish adult before my heart started acting up. I feel no discomfort; my heart is not constricted.

I am so grateful for this shift, so grateful that I have said "thank you" by cutting back on my heart meds. A healing is in progress, and I wish to facilitate it by offering a tangible sign of my trust in this miraculous transformation.

No comments:

Followers

About Me

Southern California, United States
Perhaps my friend Mark summed me up best when he called me "a mystical grammarian." I am quite a mix--otherworldly, ethereal and in touch with "the beyond," yet prone to being very precise and logical, when need be. Romantic in the big-canvas meaning of the word, I see the world as an adventure, as a love poem, as a realm of beauty and wonder.

Blog Archive