Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Damned if I Do, Damned if I Don't

I was in the emergency room yesterday, the seventh or eighth time in the last 12 months. I lose count.

I went in with chest constriction and nausea. A number of explanations were tossed about, but what was clear was that I had fluid in my lungs and this was crippling my breathing. I have had edema for the past few months. My weight sometimes fluctuates six pounds, up or down, a day.

My ankles are fat-girl ankles. My thighs are tight with water. Yet I'm also dehydrated. The water isn't going where it should be going, and it's hanging around places when it should be moving. So do I drink plenty of water or do I limit my fluid intake?

These are the kind of dilemmas I'm facing. Do I eat protein because it's good for the heart or do I abstain because it makes my kidneys work harder? Should I have a glass of dry red wine with supper because it is a natural diuretic, it stimulates circulation, and it reduces blood sugar, or do I avoid alcohol in accordance with my vegan diet?

Though my blood sugar has been well-controlled for several weeks, yesterday it was sky-high. The explanation for that was that blood sugar being out of whack is a sign from the body that something else is seriously wrong. In this case, that I had water in my lungs and was having trouble breathing. So the hospital nurses gave me multiple insulin shots--something I would have never done at home. As a result, I had a very bad insulin reaction early this morning. My blood sugar had dipped dangerously low.

Such wild swings from 600+ blood sugars to those under 50 are hard for the body to take, and so I was very dizzy this morning following the reaction--so much so that I had to hang onto walls to walk.

I really don't know what I'm supposed to do. I'm eating right. I'm getting acupuncture and EECP treatments to increase blood flow. I'm taking 16 supplements. And I've got a helluva good attitude. What's more, I frequently ask aloud to God or an angel or anyone who may be listening, "Tell me what I am to do to heal my body!"

While I'm waiting for an answer, the doctors shrug their shoulders and the alternative practitioners shake their heads.

2 comments:

Alexi Holford said...

I am so sorry, Heidi. I wish I knew what the answer was. I recently heard of something called EFT. Have you heard of it? Sounds bogus, but one friend of mine actually heard of it and thought it worked. Maybe worth a try? I know of someone in Long Beach who is a practitioner and a couselor, so covered on insurance. Again, I mostly want to offer my condolences and sympathy and hope for healing.

Heidi's heart said...

I am so open to any ideas. Over the years I have spent thousands of dollars on alternative practitioners, many of whom were very accomplished at self-promotion but did little or nothing to assist me in my road to health. Thanks for your support, Alexi. That means a lot to me.

Followers

About Me

Southern California, United States
Perhaps my friend Mark summed me up best when he called me "a mystical grammarian." I am quite a mix--otherworldly, ethereal and in touch with "the beyond," yet prone to being very precise and logical, when need be. Romantic in the big-canvas meaning of the word, I see the world as an adventure, as a love poem, as a realm of beauty and wonder.

Blog Archive